Wednesday, March 30, 2011

It's Time to Deliver!

WARNING: Below there is a picture of a baby right after they were born...no bath yet!

Those three words that a mom-to-be waits 9 months to hear "time to push" were never uttered to me.  I am ok with that.  I was not (nor am I) one of those people that felt that I had failed if I couldn't have a baby naturally.  No matter how you have a baby...you have had a baby!  It's hard work either way.  I was in labor for over 24 hours, and by the time my doctor tossed out the words "cesarean section" (or c-section) I was all for it.  I hadn't dilated past 5-6cm but was having contractions for someone who was about 9 to pushing!  I also had to have internal monitors (yes, its just like it sounds...but really at this point you have no modesty left in you), and was on oxygen.

I was ready to have my baby in my arms.  The doctor got her team together, I got MORE drugs, Chuck and I made all the phone calls that HAD to be made, and then we waited.  That 45 minutes, was the LONGEST 45 minutes of my life. 
As the nurses were wheeling me to the operating room, I just kept thinking "soon my family will be complete, and all my dreams will have come true."  I was ready to hear that first cry, to see that face,and to hold him and whisper "I Love You Micah Jace".  They get me all set and Chuck comes in....it's time.  All of a sudden the anesthesiologist says "your baby is about the be born", Chuck jumps up and starts taking pictures, and then I hear that sound I was waiting for...wahhhhhh! It was music to my ears. In the next second this face comes over the curtain, it is the most perfect, handsome face I've ever seen...it was my son (my son...I like how that sounds!)

The doctors and nurses finish what they need to.  Micah heads off to the nursery and I head to recovery.  I am so anxious to hold my baby and be my family of three.  A sense of peace, love and a happiness I've never felt before that moment washed over me...it's official I'm a MOM! 

1 comment: